Monday, February 25, 2013

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

"Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?"
I liked this one well enough. The cover drew me in, and it proved to be a pretty okay read. I wasn't exactly putting everything aside to read it, but I finished it nonetheless. I didn't have much problem with the characters; Scarlett's a good, strong--and more developed--character, while Rosie read a tiny bit flatter to me. The visuals had some merits, especially when it came to the Fenris. I think all in all, the premise could just have been carried out better. I don't know how, but I wasn't completely enthralled with it as is. The relationships in it are a key point, though, because they make up the fabric of the story and they're not too terrible in my opinion. The bond between Rosie and Scarlett was firm and believable, and the romance between Rosie and Silas was sweet and thankfully didn't overpower the book. Overall: 3.5 stars. Meh... okay, maybe four. Could go either way. So, if you're into fairytale retellings, maybe try reading the first chapter and seeing if you like it. Can't hurt at all. Anyway, you can get it at Kettleson. Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment