Saturday, September 8, 2012

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.
But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...
This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.
It wants the truth.

So, I read this book in the space of one evening, and it was amazing. This book was  really beautiful. It was kind of unconventional, but at the same time, very classic. I liked that it was originally an idea by Siobhan Dowd, which was then picked up by Patrick Ness after her untimely death from cancer. Both wonderful authors. The story was heartbreaking while also managing to weave a little dark humor here and there. Still, I swear it got me near/in tears about three times--and I don't cry easily. I have tear ducts of steel. Anyway, this book managed to disregard that. Just the wording and handling of the issue of cancer was unlike any other book I've read. And the book wasn't just about that, either. There were so many nuances and underlying issues and things to think about. I was kind of shell-shocked by the time I actually finished it. The story, paired with haunting images scattered throughout the book, made for a truly incredible book. I recommend this to anybody and think you're severely missing out if you don't check it out. It's at Kettleson and Mt. Edgecumbe.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book...I´m so glad you reviewed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It was a totally out-of-the-blue find, but it was so amazing.

    ReplyDelete